Sunday, October 12, 2008

I fear

There are many things where I fear for my child :

* I fear that sending her to a national-type school will expose her to only Chinese culture while ignoring the other cultures that exist in Malaysia. I fear that their reputation for too much homework and exam-oriented pressure is justified and that she will not have the time to grow in other areas, whatever those may be. BUT, I don't think much of the quality of education in national schools, so what can I do ?

* I fear that she will grow up in a country where we talk about Malay supremacy and the special interests of the Chinese and Indians and Iban, et al. And while the politicians are all fighting over their slices of pie, other countries just come in and take that pie away - bit by bit. And at the end of it, having 80% of nothing is still nothing.

* I fear that she will have to grow up in a country where theft and robbery and rape are common place. Oh wait, we're already here.

* I fear that she will not know the joy of meeting and playing with friends in her neighbourhood because it's dangerous out there.

* I fear that she will not exercise because she's sms-ing on her phone or playing her Playstation or sat in front of the TV and PC all the time.

* I fear that she will not know the beauty and joy of nature because she only ever sees a screen - be it TV, PC or phone. And nature has no screen.

* I fear doing this to her in my own way :



There are many more things where I fear for her. This, at least, I can control.

No comments: