Friday, April 10, 2009

My take on American Idol 8

Having missed the first 7 seasons of American Idol, I wasn't all that interested in AI8. Then Michelle started following it because of some Gokey guy......

I must admit that my knowledge of American Idol contestants had been pretty much limited to Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson and William Hung. All the other contestants and winners have passed through my mind like water through a sieve. I simply hadn't heard any songs that I could readily recall about them.

AI8, though, has thrown up a rather interesting singer in Adam Lambert. He's got a pretty good voice and his vocal control is pretty good and he's a decent showman, but the feature that really strikes me about him is that he's shown a penchant for singing really unique versions of songs.

In that sense I've been using Adam Lambert as a reference point to check out the original cover versions of the songs that he's sung. Take this cover version for example :



It's not that easy to think of it as a country music song, is it ? Well, the song was originally written as a country music song and was a big hit for country artist Johnny Cash.

Adam has also done Smokey Robinson's "Tracks of my tears" (verdict : good) and Wild Cherry's "Play that funky music" (verdict : average). Nothing much for me to check out there as both versions are pretty famous.

But this week Adam again uncorked a gem. He sang "Mad World", which is one of my favourite Tear For Fears' songs. And since it was a stripped down version, I searched for the reference and found this :

No comments: