Sunday, October 24, 2010

Climbing Mount Kinabalu the second time around

Climbing Mount Kinabalu for the second time proved much easier than the first time around - mainly because I was more careful about preparing for altitude sickness.

It also meant that I was more interested in taking photographs, and since the clouds were more prominent during this trip (15th-16th Oct 2010), the photographs were a lot better. I borrowed Julian's Lumix for this trip as it was a light camera.

Stayed here at Kinabalu Park.
Accommodation was luxurious this time thanks to a generous benefactor.

along the trail

the vegetation has changed, and there are clouds below by now



kept on bumping into this guy's group - at Laban Rata & the summit


I think that this is the best photo in my 2 climbs of Mt. Kinabalu



The canteen at Laban Rata. Great food, considering that it's on a mountain.

the balcony at Laban Rata

This time around, I ended up in a 3-bed room at Laban Rata with (blessings!!) a hot shower. It felt great !

The hot shower was followed by sleep. This didn't work out well as I woke up shivering at night. Got all the gear on in an attempt to keep warm - sweater, jacket, gloves, winter socks, beanie.

At 0230 hours when I was supposed to start the the climb to the summit, I was feeling a little better, but not by much. I was wondering whether I should even make the attempt ..... I decided to step out and up and see how it went. I could always turn back if I had to.

It worked out well. I was feeling warm after going for 50 meters. The ropes were not a surprise this time around, and the narrow ledge felt like a four lane highway. I didn't feel the effects of the thin air as much as the first time, and reaching the summit was a pretty straightforward affair.

the sunrise 2nd time around wasn't much better than the 1st time

solid as a rock




on the descent

stairway to Heaven

the clouds make for an absolutely dramatic backdrop

Got back to Kinabalu Park at around 2000 hours as I was accompanying a team member. Fortunately, I had packed the head lamps as we were walking in the dark for the last one hour. This time around, there was an additional rest day so reaching Kinabalu Park at night didn't disrupt the schedule.

I guess it was fun. It was definitely beautiful.

@ Kinabalu Park, on the rest day

No comments: