Thursday, November 11, 2010

How to repair a leaking washing machine

So my Samsung washing machine had been leaking drain water for almost 2 years and finally I had decided to fix it. I called the service center and the technician told me it could be just the hose is detached and it will cost me RM55 to "repair" it. So I guess is worth to repair the old washing machine (8.5 years old) for under RM100 but what if the problem is more than that. So I decided to ask them to service my air-con instead and at the same time help me to check my washing machine. I told them before hand if the service fee is too high, I won't be consider fixing it at all. The new washing machine with same specification cost only RM699.

The technician told me one of the part is spoiled (the problem is more than detached hose) and 3 days later he called me to ask for RM140 for the original spare part. So I was reluctant to spend so much for an old washing machine. After much discussion, finally the technician told me I could have fix the hose with ordinary extension washing machine drain hose from DIY shop which cost less than RM20. And he offered to fix and service for me at the cost of RM130. =:=" Do I look like 3 years old??!!

Anyway I had decided to give it a try by myself and here is the result.

This is a washing machine extension drain hose. There are two type of hose, 1) with one end of L-shape and 2) with one end of cone shape. Buy the one with cone shape so that you can cut according to your washing machine pipe size. Sorry, this is not the real photo, I forgot to take one before fixing it.


Try to fix it on the pipe of washing machine and adjust the connection until it is tight enough by cutting the bigger drain hose ring off. Do it one ring at a time just to make sure you don't over cut it.

The fix drain hose will look like this.

The other end of the hose can be connected direct to the drain pipe and save the hassle of having another drain hose. I threw mine. Screwed back the cover and you have a perfectly working washing machine. It was common to have the drain hose wore off after sometimes, the recommendation is to change the drain hose every 5 years. So, if your washing machine is having the same problem, have a check. You might just save yourself some money by DIY.

No comments: