Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lee Martin's take

In light of SAF's 25 years as Manchester United's manager, stories, memories, anecdotes and accolades have been coming out of the woodwork from all and sundry. Many of them from players that I knew of from my youthful days.

One of the more memorable ones is from Lee Martin, scorer of the winning goal in the FA Cup final replay vs Crystal Palace in 1990 - SAF's first major trophy as Manchester United manager.

Martin, at left-back that day, said: "With an hour gone, I heard a shout from the bench with the boss yelling 'Get forward!'. So I put my head down, ran towards the box and got on the end of a brilliant ball from Neil Webb to score what proved the winner.

"As we were celebrating in the dressing-room afterwards, he came over and said 'When I shouted about getting forward, I wasn't talking to YOU!'

No comments: