Friday, March 13, 2015

Rest In Peace, Sir Terry Pratchett


I only learned about the Discworld late - maybe late-20's, early-30's. But it was such a fascinating universe - and so funny. At times, even laugh out loud funny.

Never got over the first book, so I ended up buying pretty much the entire Discworld series (I think there's still the odd stray book running around uncaptured somewhere). Every book was funny or satirical, some more than others. But ALL of them were Good. And I looked forward to (pretty much) the annual Discworld book.

Above all else, I remembered the characters more than the story lines. Lord Vetinari, Sam Vines, Moist von Lipwig, Granny Weatherwax, Tiffany Aching, Death. And somewhere in there, there was a vegetarian vampire.

There are many who were much more greatly influenced by his books. They may have been classified as Fantasy, but in truth, Pratchett's books were much more rooted in human nature. Accordingly, his books have influenced me - but probably more along the lines of the things I find funny.


"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened." 
- Sir Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures.


Rest In Peace, Sir Terry Pratchett.
I will miss you, as will many others.
Thank you for Discworld.
Rest In Peace.

No comments: