Thursday, June 25, 2009

3 years old !


my Diplomat chess set made a reappearance as I read on some chess set that 3 years is the minimum age for learning chess - first time Catriona's ever seen a chess set

Today is my little girl’s 3rd birthday and to commemorate the occasion, I’ll reveal the rationale of her name.

Her full name is Catriona Chong Xin Yun and we’ve often been asked what (especially) Catriona means. It’s a pretty rare first name for a girl and I must admit that until Michelle found it, I’d never heard of it before. And even though we’ve been asked many times, we’ve never fully explained to anyone how her name was put together.

Well, it’s time to let the Cat out of the bag.

Catriona is of Scottish, Irish and Gaelic origin and is the Anglicised form of the Gaelic names Catrĩona and Caitrĩona, which are forms of Katherine. It means “Pure”.

Chong is her surname.

Xin Yun is the Chinese name and it means “Happy Melody”. Her mother coined it but was thinking about changing it when another name was suggested. I was glad when Catriona’s godmother shot that suggestion down in her typical style. So the godmother gets part of the credit for naming Xin Yun.

Put together, her name reads as “Pure Happy Melody”.

I was very happy with that name and so far, it describes her perfectly. Happy is her default demeanour and Melody is when I hear that little voice singing in the background, as she often does.

But the main reason for Catriona is that she was named for :


No comments: