Friday, July 3, 2009

Time flies when you have headphones on and can't hear the world pass by ....


It's amazing how things have changed.

30 years ago, the Sony Walkman introduced a totally novel, brand new concept to the world i.e. that you could listen to your choice of music wherever you went. The Walkman was portable and you wouldn't be bothering anybody else as they couldn't hear the music through the headphones that you were wearing.

Nowadays, the iPod is the instrument of choice but the main concept remains the same i.e. that you could listen to your choice of music wherever you go. Just that the iPod plays mp3s, has thousands more songs, has a shuffle feature, and a play list feature and will even feed you a banana if you get hungry while in the bathroom.

But it's this comment that caught my eye ..

13-year-old web reviewer Scott Campbell, marking the 30th anniversary of the Walkman by using one for a week :

"My dad had told me it was big, but I hadn't realised he meant that big. It was the size of a small book... It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the tape... I managed to create an impromptu shuffle feature simply by holding down 'rewind' and releasing it randomly... Did my dad...really ever think this was a credible piece of technology?"

No comments: