Sunday, January 17, 2010

Can you bear it ? Or can you bare it ?

It's hard for me to believe that people do not know the difference between 'bear' and 'bare', so I'll just assume that they've forgotten when to apply the correct spelling to what they mean.

And the other word which is constantly misspelled is deadline. A deadline is NOT the same thing as a dateline.

deadline - the time by which something must be finished or submitted; the latest time for finishing something: a five o'clock deadline.

dateline - a line giving the place of origin and usually the date of a news dispatch or the like.

I had a habit of consulting a dictionary when I was a youngster just starting to learn English. It was the only way to understand some articles and books. Now I just go to http://dictionary.reference.com/

No comments: