Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Talk

I was trawling a list of the songs that reached #1 on the UK Singles Chart (here) when I came across a long forgotten song (for me). Since then, I've been listening to it for the whole day. It is one of the happiest songs I've ever heard. So now, I present to you Captain Sensible's "Happy Talk" :



You've got to have a dream
If you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true ?

That's turning the 'dreams come true' concept on it's head.

The song originally came from 'South Pacific', a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. You can see the movie version here. Maybe it's me, but the movie setting places the 'Happy Talk' phrase in a very different context.

A point of interest in the Captain Sensible version is that the 3 girls doing his backing vocals were not just back-up singers. They were actually a band called Dolly Mixture, and they once had a supporting act called ........ U2.

I love this song.
I think it's Happy.
Dream thinks it's Gay.

No comments: