Sunday, July 11, 2010

I miss Sunday nights ...

I used to look forward to Sunday nights. It was usually the time to rest at the tail end of the weekend, the calm before the storm that Monday brings ........ but most of all, I looked forward to the music on Sunday nights.

Sunday was when Alan Zachariah and Rizal Abdullah would come on at 9.00 pm till 12.00 pm to spin 3 hours of very old, wonderful music. The very fact that I couldn't recognize most of the songs that they were spinning merely added to my enjoyment. I've heard many of the more popular songs of the 60's till the 90's and hearing 'new' old songs on those Sunday nights brought much pleasure. Of course, since the programme concentrated on songs before the 60's, it meant that the songs were almost always soothing.

And they always closed the programme with Acker Bilk's 'Stranger on the Shore'. That was bliss ....



Yes, I really do miss those Sunday nights. It's a pity that Radio 4 chose to end the programme.

No comments: