Friday, October 7, 2011

an Apple a day ... Steve Jobs

I remember reading John Sculley's autobiography (don't ask), Odyssey, over 2 decades ago. Other than a general idea that the book was Sculley's version of history, I really only remember one thing; Steve Jobs recruiting Sculley (who was President of PepsiCo) to work for him by asking :

"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life or come with me and change the world ?"

What a challenge !! How many people would be able to resist trying to meet that challenge ?

Much has been written about Steve Jobs and to say that he has changed the world would not be hyperbole. Just fact.

And as much as his products leave outsized footprints in their industries, there is one lesser known Steve Jobs product. One he made personally.

I remember reading the full text of his Stanford commencement speech in 2005 which was circulated to me in an e-mail. What he said rang so true, I kept that speech on my hard drive. It's still there today.

So Steve, I didn't buy your Apples (couldn't afford it) but I got your Pixars and I definitely got that Stanford speech.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

No comments: