Friday, October 21, 2011

France vs New Zealand All Blacks - deja vu ?

France vs New Zealand in the Rugby World Cup - it brings back memories.

I remember the first rugby match I ever saw live on TV. It was 1999 and I was in England together with my family. My brother and I were staying at a B&B run by a 50-ish English woman. Lovely house in the suburbs of London. I distinctly remember that she decorated her walls with many, many miniature pictures of her family and friends.

My interest in the Rugby World Cup had been piqued when we bumped into a group of South African fans who were in England supporting their team. So when I got the chance, I decided to watch my first rugby match on TV. It happened to be the semifinal where France were playing against the New Zealand All Blacks. Having walked all day, I fell asleep in the first half and woke up at half time to face a slightly irritated landlady who asked me to go sleep in my room upstairs. New Zealand were already leading 24-10 at that stage.

As soon as the chance presented - 5, 10 minutes ? - I slipped back down, headed to the kitchen, and turned on the smaller TV set there. Volume down, of course. I ended up watching the greatest comeback victory in Rugby World Cup history. Funny how things work, sometimes.

No comments: