Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the Eclipse

I was watching out for the eclipse of the moon two nights ago, but the clouds overhead put paid to that hope. All I have is a photo of the full moon which I captured on the prior night.


Whenever I hear of an eclipse, it reminds me of the time that I watched one from beginning to end.

I had been hiking all day at Pulau Pangkor with my team during an Outward Bound course. We had gotten lost and didn't reach the designated base camp that night. Instead, the team set up camp on a beach with the intention of finding our way back early next morning. With the camp set up and dinner finished, we kicked back on the beach and stared up into the sky.

And the moon turned orange.

Having been cut off from any news or outside events for the past few weeks, we were not aware that there was going to be an eclipse.

We got one.

With a clear sky. Whilst chilling on a beach. Accompanied by the sound of waves. And the occasional sea breeze.

It's an enduring memory.

No comments: