Thursday, December 1, 2011

LCCT2 ? KLIA2 !

No wonder the cost of the new airport has doubled ! Mind you, this is Malaysia, where cost overruns and variation orders for government projects and GLCs are as common as house flies. If the budget is currently RM3.9 billion - already almost double the first budget - one wonders what the final actual cost will be when the airport is completed.

I wonder :

* what happened to the original plan to build a second low cost carrier terminal ? As it is, the project is now dubbed the KLIA2 instead of LCCT2.

* what happens to KLIA now that the KLIA2 can cater for aircraft as big as the A380 ? Wouldn't that make KLIA redundant ? As it is, the KLIA is already under utilized.

* Would adding an extension to KLIA make more financial sense ? I'm not privy to the numbers so I don't know.


And saying that passengers will not be charged for the additional higher specifications is pure bunkum. I guess I'll be paying higher airport tax while flying on a low cost airline ..... sigh. As much as I would like to believe otherwise, one wonders if there is any leakage going on.

No comments: