Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Distractions of Mortality

"Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life,” Steve Jobs, Stanford in 2005.

in no way am I comparing myself to Steve Jobs, but the comment seemed appropriate 

Sometimes I get flashes in my mind. Distractions, if you will, about mortality. Oftentimes, I ask myself, ‘what would I do if so-and-so died today. How would it affect their family ? How would it affect me and my family ?’ 
Frequently it helps me to get a sense of perspective about said person. Maybe it changes the way I interact with them. It helps me to pause before I say any cutting words. It’s like that movie cliché where the last words the deceased heard were unkind ones and the husband/child/parent has this thought tormenting them for years and decades on end. 
It could lead to actions as simple as putting a child in a car seat because the thought of losing them is too much to bear.


A thought popped into my mind yesterday : “What would I say to my daughter if I had only 5 more minutes to live ?” It came unbidden, out of nowhere. And it applied right now – at this stage of our lives. The answer was also immediate :


“You’re my favourite girl ..."

No comments: