Friday, September 28, 2012

Thanks Andy for Moon River

That song Moon River has many points of reference for me.

That it first showed up in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'. What a title for a movie !

That Audrey Hepburn was the first to sing it (here). Moon River has a romantic, romantic melody.

That it references Huckleberry Finn travelling down the Mississippi River. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were two of the books I read and remembered when young. There was quite a lot of Mark Twain when I was young.

And later, when I found out that Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini were the composers. Henry Mancini - the composer of the 'Pink Panther' theme !

But mostly, it was because I really liked the song. I've heard a few versions (including Morrisey's !) but the version that I've remembered is by Andy Williams. It's been there and thereabouts for a large part of my life.

For that, I thank you Andy. RIP.


No comments: