Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Question of Time


Every once in a while I count how I've been using my time. Usually I count on a weekly basis and then average it out to a day - that's 24 hours.

It's not just a shiok sendiri exercise, but more a case of determining if I'm spending my time the way I want to. Not how I should spend my time, but how I want to spend my time. And once I've broken it down, then I know whether I'm spending my time the way I want to spend it. Of course, how I want to spend my time is a very subjective matter, but that's a story for another day.

For instance, when I was working in central KL, smack in the middle of the Golden Triangle, I was spending on average 135 minutes a day commuting to and back from my workplace. So when an offer came to work in Shah Alam which entailed 60 minutes total commuting time, the time savings became an important issue. At 75 minutes a day for 20 working days a month, I was going to have an additional 1,500 minutes a month just on commuting - that's 1 whole day a month.

When you think about it, that's 24 extra hours of sitting in the car every month. Just that thought changed my perception of working in Shah Alam. Suddenly, it seemed a lot more desirable than having a Starbucks in the office backyard. And I decided that sitting in a car was not how I wanted to spend my time.

I guess now that Catriona is here, time has become a more precious commodity because she wants to play with me. And sometimes it's difficult because I would rather be off doing my own stuff. But at the back of my mind is the thought "She's only going to be this age once, and the time will come when she would rather play with others".

It's a sobering thought. And one that helps me to focus on what I want to do.

No comments: