Thursday, March 8, 2012

Why We Need Better English

Lately I've been conducting interviews to fill vacancies in my department. Let's just say that results have been disappointing so far. There have been numerous surveys on the reasons why fresh graduates in Malaysia have so much difficulty finding jobs. The major reasons include not being properly trained/prepared to work, unrealistic expectations and incompetent English.

I have one more to add. It helps if they turn up for the interview once the date and time have been agreed. I'd set up 5 interviews - 2 informed me they couldn't make it with a reasonable explanation and 3 just didn't bother to turn up. Without informing me. Utter professionalism. Incredible courtesy. Just the sort of thing to make employers happy. CGPA of 3, my foot !

As an aside, this excerpt of CV is why we need to have a better standard of English in Malaysia. I wasn't sure whether the girl was serious about her personal strength, or what position she thought she was applying for, but it certainly made me wonder whether it was a typo.

No comments: