Friday, May 22, 2009

American Idol 2009 has a winner....

and it's Kris Allen.

I'm happy for him, really I am. And the recording contract that he'll sign for winning will come in handy in furthering his musical career.

But what about Adam Lambert ? Well, I'm happy for him that he lost because now he's free to make that rock album that he so obviously craves to do. And he won't even have to release 'No Boundaries' as his first single as the winner of AI2009 is obliged to do (a middling to crappy song, BTW). And there's no way that there aren't a bunch of recording labels lining up for his signature right about now. Not when he's got a vocal range that's off the charts - I get a sore throat listening to him scream - and the musical sense to pick and adapt songs to suit him which make for good (and occasionally great) listening.

If I had to make a comparison, it's this : Kris Allen is a good singer, but there are many good singers around whereas there aren't too many guys who will be able to sing like Adam Lambert. I sometimes ask myself this as an acid test : Will I be listening to him 10-20 years from now ? I think that there's a great chance that this will happen with Adam Lambert but I can't say the same thing about Kris Allen. I think that my aunty put it best : people will remember Adam Lambert but they will forget what's his name ?

So this decision is a good win-win situation for both the finalists. And the American Idol show wins because they've introduced, to me, the most exciting vocalist that's ever graced their show.

I'll leave you with an Adam Lambert song that I've been repeatedly playing just to listen to that scream (for want of a better description). You'll know which one I'm talking about.



Just a note that this is a jazz song which is best remembered for Nina Simone's version. Adam, of course, did the rock version covered by Muse.

I'm looking forward to his first album.

1 comment:

Tonjia Rolan said...

Ditto regarding Adam. I was stunned. He was my pick from the beginning. I thought it impossible for him to lose.