Monday, March 28, 2011

Cat's in the Cradle

Over the past two months, every Saturday afternoon has been punctuated with "Can we go to the swimming pool ?", and then, "Pleaseeeee ?"

I admit that it does take time away from what I want to do but I keep remembering that line from Harry Chapin's 'Cats in the Cradle' (here) :

He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me


And then I remember that I like playing with my girl. It's just that I like playing with her when it fits my schedule - but it never really works out that way, does it ?


Kids ask for your time and attention when they want to and not when it fits your schedule. And while I sometimes ask her to wait, there are also many occasions when an immediate response to a request leads to a short (or sometimes long) period of play and laughter and lots of tickling.


And then there are times when I remind myself that she's growing up and that I will have to play with her and read to her and love her while she still wants my company. Cos it won't be long before she becomes a Teenager.

No comments: