Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Somebody please tell me Again why I am paying a Toll for This ?


This is a Standard Operating Procedure every working day.


I blame Dr Mahatir for this.

Instead of using Malaysia's oil money to build a decent public transport system, he went about setting up a car making industry. A car making industry that :

* Raises the prices of other cars so that Malaysia's local Proton cars are cheaper by comparison. This is called Protectionism. This also means that Joe Public has to pay relatively more to own a car. Relatively a LOT more.

* 20 years after they were set up, it was gratifying to hear Proton say that the quality of many of their local vendors were not up to par. Seriously, it took them 20 years to realize that and take some action ? It's also nice to know that Joe Public has been paying for sub-standard quality for 20 years.

In Proton's defence, their poor quality has been an open secret. Joe Public simply kept on buying because the other cars were so much more expensive.

* led to more roads being built (haphazardly), more toll plazas set up (Yo, Samy!), and yes, more traffic jams. All in the interest of selling more Protons, of handing out more APs, of collecting toll.

As much as I would like to take public transport to work, there is no way I can do it because .......... there is no public transport from my home to my work place ! Driving to the nearest LRT station would take longer compared to my driving direct to my work place. That traffic jam you see in the photos ? That's between my home and the LRT station.

I could go on and on about Malaysia's lack of a decent public transport system but I have to go to sleep. Have to wake up early as I have to allocate additional time to navigate my way through a traffic jam.

No comments: