Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sign Posts on the Road of Life

There is this saying that "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

Likewise, I remember my life not by calender years but the events that act as sign posts along the way, such as the progress of these young men in their footballing careers.

Fergie's Fledglings : Butt, Giggs, Beckham, G.Neville, Scholes, P.Neville

I remember when they were first given full rein in the 95/96 season and wondering who these guys were. Giggs I knew, of course, as he was in the first eleven by then but the others drew a blank. That was back when we didn't have Astro and soccernet and Man United had not yet grown into the global icon that we know now.

Now, 13 years later, Giggs and Scholes have talked of retirement and some of the group have even started their coaching badges in preparation for the end of their playing careers. Beckham then is incredibly different from the Beckham that we know now, but throughout his career he has remained the consumate professional as far as the footballing side is concerned. Nicky Butt and Phil Neville have joined other clubs and Gary Neville is no longer the automatic first choice right back at United.

But I guess that the first sign post for me will be when one of them announces his retirement. It will mark the beginning of the end of an era at Man United. And because they've been a part of my life for so long, it will be a poignant moment for me. And it will be a moment that lingers until the last of them has announced his retirement.

For me, at least, Fergie's Fledglings will be the group who fulfilled their talent the way the Busby Babes never had a chance to do.

No comments: