Thursday, February 19, 2009

Peeve

What is it about Malaysian drivers and their seeming inability to use indicator lights while driving ? Today on my way to work, I had one car cutting right across me without the indicator lights being used – and yes, I was irritated. It’s not like I was that far away from the car, maybe about 5-10 meters. Does the driver expect me to be able read her mind ? Not only that, does she expect me to read her mind when she’s in another car ?

I also saw a lorry going across four lanes within 150 meters without the driver using his signal lights at all! Mind you, this was in a busy area with quite a fair amount of traffic, it being the tail end of rush hour traffic. Once again, the expectation is that the drivers of some 20-30 cars are expected to know what the lorry driver intends to do.

And most shocking of all, when I was on the ELITE highway, one of the highway workers started running across the 3-lane highway in a direct collision path with my car! I was in the middle lane and had to shift one lane to avoid hitting her. Granted that mine was the lone car in front and that there were a bunch of cars further behind, and crossing a 3-lane highway is difficult to do, but running in a direct collision path with my car is simply throwing any notions of safety out the window. In a collision between steel vs flesh, guess which is going to win ?

I may not have been speeding, but what if I were sms-ing at the time ? If people are going to do something as stupid and dangerous as this, they shouldn’t assume that the other party is not doing something as stupid and dangerous as well.

No comments: