Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Third Nipple

In growing up in the 80's, my musical education was greatly influenced by the British music scene. It was the period of New Wave and Modern Romantics and Boy George. And the creativity and diverse influences that emerged from that period I found truly fascinating, and continues to enthrall me today.

Since then, I've expanded my musical horizons quite a bit but the Brits still hold a special place in my heart. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that since that time, the British music scene was more likely to produce music that was creative and embraced multiple influences when compared to their counterparts in the USA.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that Britain being a smaller market, it's easier for the esoteric types to climb the music charts and thus be noticed. I mean, where else can you find Bob The Builder hitting #1 on the music charts ? Certainly not in America where the prevalence of rap or soul/r&b types has left little room for other musical influences. Of course, the flip side of this diversity of musical influences is that quite a fair bit of dross gets thrown up as well. But since we get to pick what we listen to, this isn't really a problem.

Anyway, what's been on my play list at the moment is Lily Allen. She's built up quite a decent body of work, but 'The Fear' is the current #1 in Britain.



If you're wondering what the title of this post is all about, it refers to the well known fact that Lily Allen has a 3rd nipple.

No comments: